How to Create the Perfect Outdoor Wedding Ceremony
Having an outdoor ceremony requires a certain amount of planning to keep everyone comfortable and happy. To help you get started, here are our tips for creating a perfect outdoor ceremony:
- Weather. No matter the season, it’s important to account for weather conditions during your outdoor ceremony. Prioritize shade in the summer months and ensure that your venue provides a Lodge or another warm escape during the colder months of the year. Having access to an indoor event space will also give you a convenient back-up plan in case of inclement weather.
- Sound. The great outdoors often comes with plenty of background noises. Renting a quality sound system will be well worth the expense if it allows everyone to clearly hear you say your vows.
- Dress. Select dresses made from heavier fabrics that will do better in the wind, and talk to your hairstylist about styles that will still look gorgeous even if the breeze kicks up.
- Guests. Do what you can to keep your guests comfortable—no matter the weather. Make it clear that you will be holding an outdoor ceremony on your invitations so guests can dress accordingly. For a summer wedding, make water readily available and consider providing paper fans alongside your wedding program.
- Refreshments. Keep guests happy by giving them the opportunity to partake in pre-ceremony refreshments. Talk to your caterer about the best outdoor food selections. Your bartender should also offer guests more than just alcohol. Provide a variety of drinks, including water and tea, so that guests don’t feel dehydrated under the California sun.
- Decorations. While nature will provide much of the decor, a decorated arch or trellis provides necessary structure in an outdoor space. In addition to rows of chairs, use decorations to create an eye-catching and functional aisle. Use lights, flower petals, or lanterns to frame the walkway.
- Location. You want your ceremony space to lend beauty and elegance to your nuptials. Tour the venue and scout out a picture-perfect location on the grounds for you to set up your ceremony. You may coordinate with your photographer ahead of time to choose a spot that will give you the best photos.
Planning a wedding can be an intimidating process, but proper preparation truly makes all the difference once your wedding day arrives. One of the best things about outdoor event spaces is that they are customizable. With the right decor and planning, you can transform the space to capture the unique vision you have for your wedding.
We only book one event each day at Middle Ranch Lodge. Couples enjoy individualized attention and privacy when they choose to exchange vows on our grounds. In the event that the weather foils your outdoor wedding plans, we can move your ceremony into our charming Lodge.